Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The inspiration for the screenplay, then for the novel

Late in the winter of 2002 my eldest sister asked me if she'd ever told me about the time she found the evidence related to a crime. I said she hadn't. She then told me about her residence as a young woman, in the early 70s, and what she discovered near there. When I realized that this evidence pointed to an actual crime, I did the research, and found that a criminal had resided there some 74 years earlier. So began my discovery of the most explosive crime, the 3rd worst in Los Angeles history, to hit the papers. To my surprise a great deal of information became available in a short period of time.

I contacted San Quentin and then searched the newspaper and tax assessor stacks downtown and was able to piece together a compelling screenplay. Within 2 years, I had what felt like enough of a screenplay to be produced in a staged reading; those were my exact thoughts. Then, a few days later, while at the gym a former associate in independent film, asked me what I'd been up to. I explained that I'd written a screenplay. His response was that I have it staged read through his company.

And so it was stage read on Tuesday, November 9th, 2004. All of the 17 actors covering 80 roles, and the one cast as the perpatrator who coincidentally was the spitting image of the actual criminal; did a SPECTACULAR job. I cannot thank them enough and hope they may play roles in the eventual film... Unfortunately, though my psychic held (holds) high hopes for the piece, it wasn't picked up immediately (and has yet to be sold).

In 2006 I was fortunate to get a literary agent. But, he wouldn't read the script because it had too many characters to be made into a movie. He suggested I write a novel. That's what I've been trying to do ever since. Last Sunday, 3/16/08 a friend from my Buddhist temple suggested I start a blog. So, that's what you see here.

Today I'm going to the Writer's Store on line, and buying myself some novel writing software; for my birthday, and for the re-invigoration of this novel writing process to get the project done.

So, I invite you to ride along as I undertake this exciting endeavor. I ask for your prayers and encouragement (and possibly your criticism, but I'm wary of that...), so that I can turn this out in a hurry. I can't wait to see it finished!

No comments: